Leah was the first wife of Jacob.
Her Scent is a fresh, spicy aroma including essences of Rose of Sharon, Cassie, Cypress and Lime.
The oldest daughter of Laban, a sheep herder from Mesopotamia and brother of Rebekah, she became Jacob’s first wife by her father’s trickery, Jacob having worked seven years as payment for, he thought, Rachel, her younger sister. Jacob accused Laban of deceiving him (Genesis 29:15-25). After seven days Jacob was allowed to marry Rachel upon agreeing to work for Laban another seven years.
When the Lord saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb;… Genesis 29:31
The names of Leah’s six sons tell a story.
- Reuben – See, a son – “The Lord looked on my affliction.” (Genesis 29:32)
- Simeon – Heard – “Because I am hated.” (Genesis 29:33)
- Levi – Attached – “Now … my husband will become attached to me.” (Genesis 29:34)
- Judah – Praise – “Now I will praise the Lord.” (Genesis 29:35) Jesus the Messiah is the descendent of Jacob through the tribe of Judah, the fourth of Leah’s six sons.
Following the birth of Judah, Leah stopped bearing. One day Reuben found mandrakes in the field during shearing season. Rachel, her sister, bartered with Leah for some of the mandrakes in exchange for time with Jacob. Then Leah bore two more sons and a daughter (Genesis 30:14-20).
- Issachar – Hire – “God has given me wages.” (Genesis 30:18)
- Zebulun – Dwelling – “Now my husband will dwell with me.” (Genesis 30:20)
- Dinah – Justice; Judgement; Who judges – (Genesis 30:21)
Leah gave birth to half the house of Israel. God blesses each of us in different ways – Praise Him in all situations!